A fantastic pair of C18th Coade Stone urns, with bud form finials, wide fluted lids and tight fluted bodies on square socles, raised on a pair of terracotta pedestals with rams heads to the corners and swags.
Would look great indoors or outdoors.
Both stamped 'Coade Lambeth 1794'.
47.5" high x 15" diameter
Provenance: Property of a Titled Estate.
Condition: In good condition with old repairs and structurally sound.
Note: This pair of Coade urns were made by the company whose founder and owner was Eleanor Coade, an highly successful entrepreneur with a flair for commerce. Having run her own drapery business in the 1760s she bought an artificial stone factory in 1770 and turned it into a world-renowned company, producing architectural features and garden ornaments, supplying none other than the Royal Family, for Buckingham Palace, many architects of the time including James Wyatt, John Soane and John Nash (leading lights of the Neoclassical movement) and many wealthy patrons overseas. These urns are in fact finials and similar examples can be seen on her home, Belmont House, in Lyme Regis (see plate opposite), where they can be seen on the parapet walls of the roof, as was the fashion on Palladian style manors and villas of the day. These examples are stamped ‘Coade Lambeth, 1794’ and given the name of her company changed in 1799 (to Coade & Sealy) these urns can be given a pretty accurate date of manufacture.